HISTORY OF THE SONOMA VALLEY WOMAN'S CLUB
On Saturday, September 21, 1901, eleven ladies met at the home of Mrs. Clewe to consider the organization of a women's club. Its purpose would be to improve all sanitary conditions, parks, streets, and to promote the social and literary interests of the community.
- 1901: Organization formed
- 1901: Initiated Plaza Improvements with the installation of trees, walkways, and a fountain in subsequent
- 1903: Established and staffed the first library in Sonoma
- 1903: Began Mission San Francisco de Solano restoration
- 1909: Placed El Camino Real bell in front of the Mission
- 1911: Initiated Carnegie Library Grant Application
- 1916: Constructed clubhouse (Designed by Brainerd Jones)
- 1920: Recovered and returned the original Mission bell
- 1949: Incorporated as a non-profit organization
- 1949-50: Clubhouse occupied by Sonoma Grammar School
- 2015: Clubhouse placed in the National Register of
- 2016 Established Sonoma Valley Woman's Club Foundation
As an organization the Sonoma Valley Woman's Club continues its emphasis on philanthropy and other support for the Sonoma Valley community. Through its fundraising efforts it helps local charities and our youth.
The Sonoma Valley Woman's Club remains a vital institution in Sonoma and the clubhouse provides a venue for many community events and, of course, is the meeting place for our esteemed members.